Tuesday, January 19, 2016

4 Things I Do In Winter To Prepare For My Spring Garden

I'm not sure about you, but this gardener tends to get a bit stir crazy in the dead of winter.  Although, once my seed and plant catalogs start arriving,  my excitement starts revving up!  I could spend hours studying and mapping out my garden for spring, if my 1 year old would allow it.  The time I do get to spend preparing gets me inspired, organized and just plain more intelligent about gardening.  So this is what I do in the blistering cold months of January and February?

I learn...learn...learn...
As an avid  gardener, I have a good idea about what grows well in my zone, plus I’ve already dealt with the process of elimination on what I've had success and failures with.  But, I still read many articles and blogs, because one can never know too much about gardening.

I do a supply roll call...
I find if I inventory and organize all of my gardening supplies now, I won't be running to my favorite Garden Center every time I need something in the Spring.   This also helps my pocket book too...because well...I HAVE to spend money at the Garden Center, you see there are always new plants I can't live without.   I also make sure my tools are clean and my tractor, tiller, mower and weed eater are all serviced.   I check my inventory on seed starting soil, seed trays, pots, and anything else I think I need for when I start my seeds indoors. 
I design my garden... 
Believe me I am no Frank Lloyd Wright, but having some sort of drawing gives me a general idea about the garden space I am planning to plant in.  I always remember to determine the scope of light, water, soil, and space, it helps in choosing the right plants suited for my area.  I add structures or trees that may cause shade throughout the day.  I also consider my soil type and if I need to amend it. 
I order my seeds...
I pick out and order my seeds as early as possible to insure that what I want is not sold out or back-ordered.   I organize the seeds when I receive them and then I separate them by what I need to start in the greenhouse to be later transplanted, and what can be directly sown in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment