Monday, March 21, 2016

The Easter Lily

As an adult, I look back on the many Easters of my childhood.  I truly can't remember one where my parents didn't gift my Grandmothers with an Easter Lily as we entered their homes for Easter Dinner.  So, as an adult I still g
ive the gift of an Easter Lily to my mother in-law!  My mom not so much, she's usually pretty happy to see the last one leave with a customer, since we grow them.  The Easter Lily (Lilium longiforum) is native to the Ryukyu Islands of southern Japan, as well as the islands of Okinawa, Amani and Erabu.  The Easter Lily is the traditional flower of spring and is highly regarded as a joyful symbol of beauty, hope, and life. Each holiday is marked by cherished traditions that bring joy, comfort, and warmth, and provide continuity from one generation to the next. Easter has its share of traditions.  This will be my daughters first year to decorate eggs and to avidly hunt them.  Although she was way too small last year, she was given way too many filled gift baskets and chocolate bunnies.  My small family still rises early to attend sunrise church service. For many, the beautiful trumpet-shaped white flowers symbolize purity, virtue, innocence, hope and life — the spiritual essence of Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment